Your website’s home page can (and should!) serve as more than just a placeholder or even a welcome mat. It should serve to draw your ideal clients into your business, whet their appetite for more of what you have to offer (both on your free mailing list and in your paid solutions), and begin the process of turning them into raving fans of your business.
But before you even think about writing and/or publishing a home page that turns visitors into raving fans and loyal clients, there’s one very crucial step you need to take.
You need to know the purpose of your website. Is your goal to generate leads for your one-on-one services? Get people into your brick-and-mortar store? Sell products online?
Sounds simple, right? Unfortunately, most website owners (myself included, before I learned the secrets of compelling web copy) fly blind when it comes to writing their website copy, and end up rushing into publishing any old content just to get their website out there.
But publishing a website without a strategic plan for the copy, a.k.a. the words that sell, on your website is akin to setting off on vacation with no idea where you want to go, how you’re going to get there, and why you’re choosing that spot. Unless you’re among the more adventurous sort, chances are you wouldn’t dream of such an open-ended vacation. There are just too many variables, including cost, travel time, and even overall enjoyment of the end destination.
Nope, we want to make the most of our time and so most of us map out exactly where we will go on vacation, at least a general idea of what we’ll do while on vacation, and how we will get there.
If only as much care and attention was put into writing awesome home page copy, it would be working MUCH harder as the client-attracting tool it can be.
Because here’s the thing:
If YOU don’t know what action you want website visitors to take, how are THEY supposed to TAKE that action?
Yikes. Sad but true. When you blindly publish any old home page copy, the result is content that doesn’t work to actually connect your business with interested leads and paying clients (yikes).
Thankfully, the solution is (somewhat) simple.
Here it is: You figure out in advance what you would like home page visitors to do after reading your home page content.
For example, choose one of these…
13 Ways to Turn Your Home Page into a Client Magnet
There are 13 popular actions you can invite visitors to take, all of which are designed to draw folks further into your world until—ultimately—they become raving fans and paying clients. Here they are, in no particular order:
1) Download a free report/video/audio training (in exchange for their contact info, of course)
2) Take a quiz of some sort (people love to learn about themselves!)
3) Schedule a no-cost consultation for coaching services
4) Request a quote on web design/writing/VA services
5) Join an upcoming webinar (also in exchange for their name & email address)
6) Call your office to speak with a live rep
7) View the first chapter of your book at no charge (to get them interested in more, of course :))
8) Download a sample section of an information product
9) Redeem a coupon/gift certificate
10) Visit your store/office for a specific reason (pick up a free gift, etc.)
11) Order your e-book or other product(s)
12) Purchase a services package
13) Enroll in a group training/coaching program
The general idea is to make an offer so great, they can’t pass it up. And then blow them away with your freebie/product/service so they will not only keep coming back for more but tell all their friends too.
And that, my friends, is the first step to a home page that attracts a steady stream of hot leads and paying clients.
Want everything you need to write the rest of your irresistible home page? The Instant Home Page Templates package can help you get it done in 30 minutes or less with the help of:
• Ready-to-publish home page copy templates for experts in 10 industries (including Branding, Business Coaching/Consulting, Career Coaching/Consulting, Energy healing/Reiki masters, Life Coaching/Personal Happiness, Marketing Coaching/Consulting, Nutrition & Wellness Coaching, Relationship Coaching & Virtual Assistance/Secretarial Services)
• 53 headline suggestions – just pick the one that feels most right for you and paste it into your web copy – DONE
• 79 bullet point statements to draw readers into your copy and help them see that YOU are the answer to their most pressing problems
• 20 calls-to-action – so you can make sure you have the perfect offer that will get your website visitors excited and eager to ACT NOW
Click here to snag a copy of the Instant Home Page Templates package for just $29 (limited-time savings).
Tammi Metzler, founder of The Write Associate, is a self-professed “word geek.” Her greatest joy is in playing with words all day to find just the right combination to get folks all fired up. In the daytime hours, this means writing online marketing copy that grabs the attention and interest of readers so that they “get” the awesomeness of the product/service in question and think “I gotta get me some of that!” After hours this often means finding just the right words to get the response she’s looking for from her husband, 9-year-old daughter & toddler son (grin). She offers tons of resources about creating compelling marketing copy that excites & engages your ideal clients on her blog at www.WriteAssociate.com.