I’m sure your email inbox has been inundated these past few weeks with frantic messages about Gmail’s recent changes to the way you see emails. Savvy email marketers want to make sure you don’t miss their emails, and rightly so (after all, you did sign up to receive them and the information they contain!). But you may be wondering how this might affect you in YOUR email marketing efforts. So to help answer that, let’s talk about 3 ways you can make sure these changes don’t kill your chances at using your email newsletter and other email marketing methods to attract clients.
But first, a quick note, in case you aren’t quite sure how to navigate these new changes in your own Gmail account, if you’ve got one.
Here’s how to take back control of your inbox and decide which emails YOU want to see, first and foremost (instead of letting the almighty Google make those decisions for you):
Step 1: Click the new Promotions tab that shows up at the top of your inbox.
Step 2: Find one of our emails (or those of someone else you want to keep tabs on), click it and drag it to the “Primary” tab.
Step 3: Look for a pop-up at the top of your screen asking if you want all future messages from this sender to go straight to your inbox.
Step 4: Click “yes.”
That’s it! Easy peasy, and you make sure you never miss an email YOU want to see. 🙂
So, is this the death of email marketing?
Not quite. While companies are noting a drop in email open rates (email marketing service provider MailChimp recently shared in a blog post that their users have seen a “small but definite drop” in open rates, from an average of more than 13% to just over 12%), a dip that might certainly be felt in the wallets of email marketers nationwide, though it’s certainly not the end of the world.
One point worth noting is that this new change doesn’t affect mobile users in the slightest; they’re still seeing all emails flowing through with no distinction. And since more and more users are going mobile to check email (including yours truly :)), that sparks good news for those of us who use email marketing to connect with paying clients.
But all is not lost when it comes to those readers who prefer to check email on their desktop. The fact of the matter is that you might lose some readers. Your email open rates might drop. But there are a few things you can do to help minimize the effect on your business (and your bottom line).
1) Create regular, valuable information that readers want and need. When you’re touching base with high-value content on a regular basis, such as every week or every other week, your readers will come to expect your newsletters…and go looking for them when they don’t show up in their primary inbox.
2) Make ’em feel like if they don’t get your emails, they’re missing out. A great way to do this is to regularly provide your readers with time-sensitive information and deals, like free training webinars with awesome, juicy content that is only available to those who register and attend live. Or time-sensitive deals on your most popular products and/or services, so that they can either save big moolah for a limited time or maybe get a package deal so that if they purchase X product by such-and-such date, they’ll get a second product free. When you “train” readers to expect such time-sensitive offers, they’ll be more likely to go seeking out your emails to make sure they don’t miss out.
3) Keep the lines of communication open. By that, I mean that you can come right out and tell readers about the new changes to Gmail and explain how they can continue hearing from you if they’d like to keep getting great content and awesome deals. For example, you might tell new subscribers how to make sure they get your emails by checking the Promotions tab of their inbox and moving your content to their Primary tab (such as I did above).
If you’d like to learn more about how you can create regular content, make use of time-sensitive deals, or otherwise use your new (or improved!) email newsletter to attract loyal readers and paying clients into your biz, check out my new opportunity to apply for a no-cost “Get Clients with Your Email Newsletter” Breakthrough Session.
HERE’S HOW TO APPLY
Simply send an email to email@example.com with the complete answers to the questions below NO LATER THAN Sunday, August 4th. (IMPORTANT: You must answer ALL the questions to be eligible for this gift breakthrough session. Any responses received with missing info will not be considered.)
1. Please tell me your first and last name and a little bit about your business.
2. What are you currently doing to market your business? (ie. Email newsletters, blogging, speaking, etc.)
3. If you’re currently using email marketing in your client-attraction efforts, how often do you publish and how many prospective clients are currently on your mailing list?
4. When it comes to marketing, what are your biggest challenges?
5. On a scale of 1-10 (10 being highest), how important is it to you to get these solved, and why?
6. What is the #1 obstacle that’s kept you from solving these challenges?
7. Where would you like your business revenues to be in 6 months? How about 12 months from now?
8. What is your phone number and email address? (We’ll contact you no later than August 6th to let you know if you were
accepted for one of these 5 available spots).